A major tornado devastated the city of Moore, Oklahoma a couple of months ago. Many people did the right thing and tried to help their neighbors during this disaster. However, some people used the disaster as an excuse to prey on others.
This teaches us an important lesson about natural disasters. It isn’t enough to make sure that you have enough resources on hand after a disaster strikes. You will also need to make sure that you can protect your resources if looters try to steal from you. Here are some essential survival strategies that you need to be aware of.
The best way to protect yourself from looters is to show that you are a force to be reckoned with. They are looking for easy targets and will usually avoid striking targets that seem well defended. Here are some ways that you can keep looters from attacking your home:
- Make sure that you have high powered firearms. According to the Violence Policy Center, gun owners protect themselves from armed criminals about 67,740 times a year. However, only 230 of those yearly incidents involve a gun owner killing their attacker in self-defense. The other 99.7% of gun owners scare assailants or intruders away by brandishing a firearm.
- Make sure that all deadbolts and locks are clearly visible. Marauders will be more likely to move to another target if they realize that it will be really difficult to penetrate your defenses.
- Have a “beware of dog” sign near your house. This can be a deterrent even if you don’t have a dog. You may also want to buy a doghouse and some old bones to make it look more convincing if you can’t find a large dog to help protect your family.
You will want to put on a good show to convince potential robbers that you aren’t an easy target.
Preparing for an Assault
Desperate criminals won’t always be scared away by someone who looks well defended. You will need to be ready to fight against them if they do choose to attack. There are a number of ways that you can better defend yourself.
Teach Your Family Self-Defense
Make sure that everyone in your family knows how to defend themselves. Make sure that they are willing to use lethal force if necessary.
Form Alliances With Neighbors
Form an alliance with your neighbors if a group of marauders attacks. You will be able to fight off attackers much more easily if you work together. This is exactly what Korean business owners had to do in Los Angeles twenty years ago when the police weren’t able to respond during riots. You may not be able to rely on law enforcement to help you after a natural disaster.
Make sure that you can turn your home into a fortress if necessary. Here are some ways that you can do this:
- Make sure that you can deadbolt and bar your door at a moment’s notice.
- Try to reinforce your home with steel.
- Create a panic room with plenty of food and ammo so that you can wait out an attack. Attackers could wait for weeks so make sure that you can survive until they leave.
Protecting your home against attackers can be very frightening. However, you will need to be prepared for this scenario. Taking these steps could save your life.
About the Author: Kalen is a survival, safety and self-defense writer. He writes about the benefits of buying GG&G rifle accessories. Some of the tools he feels no one can do without are Mossberg 500 tactical accessories.