A government collapse is something that not all of us see as major threat. It is an institution that, in our eyes in permanent and will always be there to give us direction and guidance or not depending on your political stance. However, one thing we are pretty certain on is that it is here to stay, regardless of whether we would like it to or not.
Whether you believe the many conspiracy stories or not, there is no question that the government is a very secretive organisation. 9/11, Area 51 the next zombie apocalypse, who knows what they will have up their sleeves for us next? But can they continue at this rate or will their house of cards come tumbling down around them. What sort of discontent and chaos will ensue should our illustrious leader fall prey to their own underhand tactics?
This begs the question – How does one survive a government collapse?
You need to educate yourself if you don’t know much, join groups and associations that promote sustainability and where you can educate yourself in the key skill areas that you may be particularly worried about.
First off you need to prepare yourself for the worst of it, get together with your family and friends even neighbours and plan how to survive. It’s time to rebuild the communities, and not be influenced by the government controlled media that want you to believe there may be a public hatred for Muslims and other faiths. Looking at the bigger picture, we need to realise that we are all part of the same planet and each person’s existence and contribution on this planet is just as valuable as the next, however small or insignificant it may seem.
Grow your own, with the unemployment record at an all time high, food prices rising things can only get worse. You can do your best to grow your own so that it is cost effective instead of food that is too expensive and no one can afford.
Learn what you can start to grow now and other things like that to make up if there is a collapse. Start buying and storing plant seeds so that you can use them if you are stuck for food.
This may sound like there’s a zombie apocalypse coming and you will need to lock yourself in a safe house or panic room but trust me it will pay off in the long run if you do all of this.
To be prepared we need to think of survival, here is a recommended list of items to have ready:
- Bottled water, Tap water would be fine.
- Dried foods, pasta’s and rice, enough for several months
- Tinned food, although this can be heavy, so don’t rely on this.
- Tents, Ideally, keeping them small as possible, two maybe needed for four persons.
- Sleeping bags, Waterproof with the highest “Toggle” rating you can afford.
- Flint/Matches, for starting fires and lighting candles
- Plates and cutlery, preferable plastic camping plates
- Stock of Medication and pain killers
- Vegetable seeds. These will be valuable in the long term as a source of food
- First aid kit
- Basic tool kit – hammer, screwdrivers, pliers and saw for example
- Clothing, three days worth of clothes, warm clothing. Waterproofs, thermals and gloves, hats and coats
- Wind up radio
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Can opener
- A camp stove or non electrical cooker that can be used indoors along with extra fuel
- Toiletries (roll of toilet paper- remove the centre tube to easily flatten into a zip-lock bag, feminine hygiene, folding brush, etc.)
- Cleaning Supplies (mini hand sanitizer, soap, shampoo, dish soap, etc. Warning: Scented soap might “flavour” food items.)
- Medical-grade vinyl gloves
- Sharp knife or multipurpose knife/tool
- A full petrol/diesel container kept in your vehicle
- Follow these guidelines and you should be ready for any eventuality.
Of course we all hope that the government remains in power and rules the country as well as it has done in the past and continues to do so in the future but it never hurts to be prepared. Who knows what dark secret could be unleashed.
Aidan writes for Sec Tech UK, a specialist security company who manage and install panic rooms and provide other security solutions. In his spare time he likes watching zombie movies and sci-fi.